MDI uses its website as the main communication platform with its audience. The website is both in English and Arabic, considering that MDI reaches a great number of people from Arab countries. Aside from that, Facebook and Twitter also help promoting MDI’s news, activities and projects. Subscribing to MDI’s monthly newsletter is also a way to stay informed.
Being a multicultural organisation, MDI works with different countries throughout the world and therefore, they have to be in touch with people from different cultures. French and Arabic are the most used languages for MDI’s communication with Algeria and Morocco, for example. Therefore, my French knowledge and skills were useful to contact partners, trainers or MDI colleagues based in those countries.
As a student in Multilingual Communication, I learned to apply my linguistic and intercultural communication skills. I have not only communicated with people in the UK but also in other countries. The Cross-Cultural Communication course I attended in my first MA year was extremely useful when it came to dealing with different perceptions of the professional field. To keep in mind that other cultures have a different attitude towards work was very important as I communicated with people from other cultures. I have learned that the key ingredients for an efficient communication are patience, finding compromises and – most importantly – listening to each other. I also had to consider the linguistic factors. Stylistically speaking, I noticed a considerable difference between French and English. Many times, I had to avoid referring to French expressions because it sounded too formal in English. I learned that one can afford to express things in English more simply than one would do in French.
1. Sharing an internship experience abroad: Introduction
2. Sharing an internship experience abroad: About Media Diversity Institute in London
3. Sharing an internship experience abroad: Multilingual aspects of MDI’s communications
4. Sharing an internship experience abroad: Tasks and learning outcomes
5. Sharing an internship experience abroad: Activities related to my MA programme
6. Sharing an internship experience abroad: Colleagues and working environment